Monday 8 March 2010

Alice

There are two words that I associate with Steampunk, but in all truth it has more to do with Victoriana and Romanticism -- Enterprise and Discovery.

I just watched Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland film and what I took from it are those two magic words. I wrote in “What is Romanticism?” that the thrilling, wonderful, and magical stories of the Romantic are metaphors. This notion was brought into 3-D focus watching this film.

The film portrays Alice’s father as a visionary who appreciates that people like himself are oft seen as a bit mad. The thing about visionaries is that they can see beyond what is and envision new potentials for creating values. They can see the impossible and make it possible.

This is the lesson Alice learns through the course of the film. She learns that she does not have to accept the limitations given her by social expectation, family/peer pressure, or even circumstance. And through her victories she gains the confidence necessary to achieve. The film ends with Alice on the path towards enterprise and discovery.

I left the cinema thinking of my short comings concerning that pursuit of enterprise and discovery and felt inspired to do more. I thought about the lessons on the Romantic that surround us in our stories and yet we see so little of it in real life.

Though I did also considered those real life visionaries and the values they created. Bill Gates came immediately to mind. Of course he is a biggy. but so many people have done so much in their pursuit to create values. These are the trail blazers and the people who maintain the trail so that the rest of us may follow.

So those are my brief thoughts on Alice. Now just remember those two words, Enterprise and Discovery. And never be afraid to be a bit mad.

1 comment:

  1. I adore Alice.

    I think of all the stories about my grandfather and I realize why I am hypnotized by steampunk

    "It's all frightfully romantic"

    I declare I am MAD!

    ReplyDelete